The internet has grown into every aspect of government services, businesses, and individuals. The connectivity is critical to deliver services, and is even more important to collaborated service delivery. There is a tremendous amount of digital and data infrastructure employed in ensuring reliability and assurance of services. However, leaving aside inadvertent attempts, there are many intentional attacks that these infrastructures are exposed to for some malicious reasons. As dependency of stakeholders is growing on digital experience, the requirement for these digital infrastructure to stand the attack is critical to ensure order and trust of the organizations and governments.
“It is pertinent to have an essential understanding of cyber security for all. In this respect we see a flood of organizations in cyber security business. However, a nodal coordinating agency that builds and addresses security need from everyone’s standpoint is missing in many countries. UK however is an exception as it has NCSC”
To lead the UK’s defense against cyber attacks, National Cyber Security Center (NCSC) was established in October 2016. NCSC is headquartered in London, and brings together expertise from CESG – Communications Electronic Security Group (the information assurance arm of GCHQ – Government Communications Headquarters), the center for Cyber Assessment, CERT-UK, and the Center for protection of National Infrastructure. The NCSC also works collaboratively with other law enforcement agencies, defense, the UK’s intelligence and security agencies and international parties.
More specifically, the NCSC as the Single Point of Contact (SPOC) serves following roles:
- Identifies and shares security guidance and information to people of all cyber expertise
- Individuals and families
- Self employed and sole traders
- Small & medium sized organizations
- Large organizations
- Public Sector
- Cyber security professionals
- Responds to cyber security incidents
- Uses industry and academic expertise to nurture UK’s cyber security capability
- Reduces risks to UK by securing public and private sector networks
- Provides a range of products and services such as:
- Certification and assurance of products, services and organizations.
- Customer assurance from cyber attacks through government backed scheme
- NCSC Certification for professionals
- Evaluation partners
- Supplier verification
- Active Cyber Defense: These are reliable services such as
- DNS resolution service.
- Find and fix common vulnerabilities in UK public sector websites
- Mail Check: NCSC platform to assess email security compliance
- Create awareness by publishing latest from in and around the NCSC and cyber security including statements, announcements and press releases.
NCSC on the lines of PMI, is working on a cyber security project CyBOK (Cyber Security Book of Knowledge). The project aims to contribute to the development of Cyber Security Professional(s).